Long before the earliest European settlers arrived, native peoples tilled the rich soils of the Rondout Valley, a fertile floodplain stretching from Kingston to Ellenville, between the Catskill Mountains and the Shawangunk Ridge. Today the Rondout Valley yields over 17 million pounds of food each year – plus flowers and herbs, nursery stock and Christmas trees, livestock and horse farms, and much more.
Our Local Farmers and Growers
• Provide us with high-quality, fresh, safe, local food
• Preserve local agricultural open space
• Protect the Valley’s fertile agricultural soils
• Raise livestock for food, work and recreation
• Connect farms to schools and children
• Reduce our carbon footprint
• Increase the health and well-being of the community
The Rondout Valley Growers Association (RVGA) supports our farming community – a diverse array of over 60 farms from 13th-generation families to newcomers. We are supported in our mission by local businesses, residents and the community to:
• Strengthen farms and our local economy
• Support innovative farming practices
• Help bring food security to underserved populations
• Build community among farmers, and between farmers, neighbors, schools and beyond
• Educate, celebrate and advocate about the importance of local food and local farms
ProFarmer Program – Informational Open House. Farmers interested in applying to the program are invited to visit the Farm Hub: Program includes: — Informational Session and Q&A with Farm Hub teaching staff — Walking tour of the farm — Conversation with current ProFarmers — Light refreshments To register please contact Sara Katz: email@example.com or call … Continue reading ProFarmer Training Open House
The Harvest Event of the Season! Celebrating farmers and farming in the heart of the Rondout Valley. Join us at our 14th annual local food barbecue and dance we’ll be serving our famous farm-to-table feast. Fun for everyone–tractor collection, Zuchinni 500 Race, pumpkin decorating, and more! Live music afternoon and evening by Rich Hines and … Continue reading Harvest Hoedown and Local Food Barbecue September 24, 2016
This short video was made for the public performance of songs created for Unsung Heroes, a project created by SageArts in collaboration with RVGA.
Volunteering is a great way to support Rondout Valley farmers and our mission. Find out more by visiting our volunteer page.