Long before the earliest European settlers arrived, native peoples tilled the rich soils of the Rondout Valley, a fertile floodplain stretching from Kingston to Ellenville, between the Catskill Mountains and the Shawangunk Ridge. Today the Rondout Valley yields over 17 million pounds of food each year – plus flowers and herbs, nursery stock and Christmas trees, livestock and horse farms, and much more.
Our Local Farmers and Growers
• Provide us with high-quality, fresh, safe, local food
• Preserve local agricultural open space
• Protect the Valley’s fertile agricultural soils
• Raise livestock for food, work and recreation
• Connect farms to schools and children
• Reduce our carbon footprint
• Increase the health and well-being of the community
The Rondout Valley Growers Association (RVGA) supports our farming community – a diverse array of over 60 farms from 13th-generation families to newcomers. We are supported in our mission by local businesses, residents and the community to:
• Strengthen farms and our local economy
• Support innovative farming practices
• Help bring food security to underserved populations
• Build community among farmers, and between farmers, neighbors, schools and beyond
• Educate, celebrate and advocate about the importance of local food and local farms
The first hard frost in late October/ November generally marks the end of the growing season for most fruit and vegetable farmers in the Rondout Valley. But for this month’s Featured Farmer, chilly Autumn is when growing activities kick into high gear! Meet Kathy Puffer, owner of Hudson Valley Vertical Farms (HVVF), which uses an … Continue reading Let it snow, let it snow…let it grow (indoors)! – Hudson Valley Vertical Farms
Posts not found
Attention, Ulster County residents who own farmland –The Ulster County Planning Board is now considering applications from qualifying landowners to be included as a NYS Certified Ag District! The Planning Board’s deadline for receiving completed applications is March 30, 2018. For more information on the Ag District Inclusion process, or to request an application form, … Continue reading The Ulster Co. 2018 Ag District Application Window is Now Open! (March 1-30)
There’s Still Time To Show Your Love For Local Food & Farming This Year, With A Tax-Deductible Gift to RVGA!
Winter has just begun, but RVGA is already sowing seeds for next year’s growth! Make a Tax-Deductible Contribution By December 31 to help build our capacity to support our farmers and the Rondout Valley’s Living Economy, in 2018 and Beyond! Your charitable contribution is as important to us as nutrient-rich soil, rain, sunshine and oxygen … Continue reading There’s Still Time To Show Your Love For Local Food & Farming This Year, With A Tax-Deductible Gift to RVGA!
Volunteering is a great way to support Rondout Valley farmers and our mission. Find out more by visiting our volunteer page.