Long before the earliest European settlers arrived, native peoples tilled the rich soils of the Rondout Valley, a fertile floodplain stretching from Kingston to Ellenville, between the Catskill Mountains and the Shawangunk Ridge. Today the Rondout Valley yields over 17 million pounds of food each year – plus flowers and herbs, nursery stock and Christmas trees, livestock and horse farms, and much more.
Our Local Farmers and Growers
• Provide us with high-quality, fresh, safe, local food
• Preserve local agricultural open space
• Protect the Valley’s fertile agricultural soils
• Raise livestock for food, work and recreation
• Connect farms to schools and children
• Reduce our carbon footprint
• Increase the health and well-being of the community
The Rondout Valley Growers Association (RVGA) supports our farming community – a diverse array of over 60 farms from 13th-generation families to newcomers. We are supported in our mission by local businesses, residents and the community to:
• Strengthen farms and our local economy
• Support innovative farming practices
• Help bring food security to underserved populations
• Build community among farmers, and between farmers, neighbors, schools and beyond
• Educate, celebrate and advocate about the importance of local food and local farms
Volunteering is a great way to support Rondout Valley farmers and our mission. Find out more by visiting our volunteer page.